This week while I was reading in Helaman chapter 10-16, I came across this scripture in Helaman 16:1 that made me stop to think about the people I was reading about. The scripture says, "And now, it came to pass that there were many who heard the words of Samuel, the Lamanite, which he spake upon the walls of the city. And as many as believed on his word went forth and sought for Nephi; and when they had come forth and found him they confessed unto him their sins and denied not, desiring that they might be baptized unto the Lord."
I am so impressed by the faith of those who listened to the words of Samuel and chose to follow what was in their heart. Choosing to follow the teachings of our Savior without actually seeing him takes a lot of faith. I feel that sometimes we can get caught up in worrying about the things we don't know or understand. This can cloud the faith we do have in what is true, which can lead us to not follow through with the promptings we are given by the spirit.
I am grateful though, that God does give us a glimpse of proof sometimes to help us when we need a little push to do what is right. In Helaman 16:3 it says, "Now when they saw that they could not hit him, there were many more who did believe on his words, insomuch that they went away unto Nephi to be baptized." This scripture is a testament to me that God loves us so much that he is willing to show us a tiny portion of his power in order to convince us that what we are doing is not leading us back to him.
These scriptures remind me of when Jesus came back to his apostles after he was resurrected. Thomas did not believe that the other apostles saw their resurrected Savior. Thomas says in John 20:25, "Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe." Soon Thomas say the Savior. The Savior then said to him, "because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." I love that our Savior values Faith.
Faith is an attribute that we can work on for the rest of our lives. We can not merely obtain faith and the work is done. Having faith in the gospel means to spend our life trusting that if we follow Christs example of learn of Him, we will only be led back to our Heavenly Father.
The Nephite's utilized their faith by listening to the prophet speak of Christ. They felt that was Samuel was teaching was true. They took their faith what they heard and changed their life around. The took Christ's name upon themselves by being baptized. They are a great example of how a decision to follow the promptings of the spirit and choosing to be different than everyone else is more important than trying to do what everyone else is doing. Their lives were blessed for changing the course of their life.
I love how certain stories or just a scripture can make us think deeply about how it can relate to our own life.
No comments:
Post a Comment